What Is Residual Functional Capacity?
Part of the Social Security Administration’s eligibility determination process involves what is termed residual functional capacity. Despite how complex this sounds, your RFC is the maximum you can do while on the job, given your impairment. Whether you are initially applying for benefits or are appealing a denial, RFC is only one criterion used to determine whether you will receive SSD. A Florida disability attorney can help you, particularly if your claim has been denied.
Use of the Checklist by the SSA
The SSA will assess your medical records in determining whether you will be deemed eligible for benefits. In some cases you might have to submit to a consultative examination by a doctor who is employed by the SSA. Your Florida disability attorney will tell you that while it may seem as though this doctor is on your side, his job is really to ascertain that you are ineligible for benefits. This is not to say that you should become discouraged. Your attorney can help you, especially at the hearing level.
Questions You May Be Asked in a Consultative Exam
The consultative exam will consist largely of a series of questions. It is best for you to be honest and answer each to the best of your ability. Make sure when possible to provide examples of your limitations. The following are some of the questions you may be asked about your ability to sit.
General Sitting Questions
- Do you have trouble sitting?
- How long are you able to sit without standing?
- Can you sit for an entire eight hour work day?
- Can you sit at a desk?
- Does an office chair need to have arms for you to sit?
- Can you sit on a backless stool?
- Can you sit with your arms extended? For how long?
- Can you sit with your neck bent forward slightly?
Sitting and Pain Questions
- What is the intensity of the pain you feel while sitting?
- Does it radiate?
- Does the pain change?
- What do you do to control the pain (give examples such as crossing your legs or shifting positions)?
- Do you feel pain if you sit too long?
Standing Up Questions
- How do you stand up from sitting?
- How long can you stand, walk or lie down?
- Does standing make you feel better?
These are just a sampling of the many questions you may be asked.
Call a Florida Disability Lawyer If Your Application Is Denied
If you have been denied SSD, a Florida disability attorney may be able to help you gain benefits. Call CJ Henry Law Firm, PLLC today at 352-304-5300.